It appears Microsoft has borked the search box yet again in it’s latest round of updates.
The issue appears to be related to Cortana’s Bing integration. Disabling Bing will return search to it’s normal functionality minus web results. Luckily this is an easy task for users comfortable with editing the registry. These steps will have you back to normal in no time.
- Open regedit (Note since the search bar is broken you can’t simply search for regedit.) My favorite method is to open the run window by pressing the Windows Key and R at the same time. From here you can type “regedit” and select OK.
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
3. Right click the Search folder and create a new Dword Value.
4. Name the Dword Value BingSearchEnabled and verify the value is 0.
5. Once you have verified the registry entry is correct you can reboot your pc and verify your search functionality has returned to normal.